Gazeley is a village and civil parish in the Forest Heath district of Suffolk. In 2005 it had a population of 740 and there are currently approximately 550 adults on the Electoral Roll.
The village lies approximately 5 miles from Newmarket and 10 miles from Bury St. Edmunds. Local folklore has it that the village is so called because "It gazes over Ely." In fact the name is of Anglo Saxon origin - Gaseleia, but Ely Cathedral, "The Ship of the Fens", can indeed be clearly seen on the horizon on a clear day from the highest point on Moulton Road. To see for yourself, just click on the photograph on the Gallery page.
William the Conqueror gave the Manor of Desingla to Richard de Clare, together with ownership of the original church in Gaseleia and the tithes of Desingla. In 1124, Richard moved the Monastery to Stoke (by Clare) and for the next 400 years Stoke Priory appointed the Vicar of Gazeley. The spelling of the name changed from Gadesley (1234) to Gazeley (1603) through various combinations, including Gydisley and Gaysle.
The Parish Church
All Saints' Church is a Grade 1 Listed church dating back to the early 14th Century. The church occupies a commanding position at the heart of the village and is the central church in a benefice of five villages. The church has undergone a programme of repair and renovation over the past 15 years. In 2004, floodlighting and path lights were installed and are being sponsored by residents of the village on a weekly basis. All Saints' Church has been a centre of worship and community celebrations for over 800 years and today's parishioners are determined to ensure that it will continue to enhance the life of Gazeley for many generations to come.
Regular services are held twice a month. A Communion service is held on the second Sunday of every month at 10.30 a.m.and a Morning Praise For All service is held on the fourth Sunday, also at 10.30 a.m.
For more information please go to the Church section of this site.
Gazeley Village Hall
The Village Hall is also in the centre of the village. The hall was left in trust to the village in the 1930's and is run by the Village Hall Management Committee. Various organisations use it on a regular basis including Dalham & Gazeley W.I., Gazeley History Society, the Table Tennis Club and the Bingo Club and Yoga. The hall also offers excellent facilities for private hire.
Further details on the Village Organisations section of this site.