The Village Hall
Gazeley Village Hall
The hall was built in 1929, at a cost of £1,000, for Sir Laurence Philipps, later Lord Milford, who donated it to the village. The architect was Cyril J Rayner of Newmarket and the builder was W. King of Exning. The hall was opened in 1930 by Lady Milford and the first management meeting was held in March 1931. The first Trustees were: Rev. William Thomas Williams, Edmund John Jarvis, Herbert John Kidd, Robert John Claydon, Walter Chinery Plume, Herbert Sugden Hubbert and Vernon Spencer Daniell. The President was Sir Laurence Philipps.
Electricity was installed in 1938 but over the years the various Management Committees struggled to meet the heating bill. In the 1970s, a new committee was formed and fundraising efforts, with support from Forest Heath District Council and the Carnegie Trust, made it possible to improve the facilities. Central heating, new double glazed windows, new curtains and a public address system were installed but in the 1990s it became clear that there was a need for extra storage and a new kitchen. Under the guidance of Mr Peter Giblin, Chairman of the Management Committee, an application was made to the National Lottery Board for an improvement grant and on 26th May 1999 the committee was granted £74,166 with a further £15,000 from Forest Heath District Council. The project was finally completed in May 2000 and the opening ceremony was performed by Richard Spring MP.
Gazeley Village Hall is now, by any standards, an excellent venue for all kinds of receptions and parties throughout the year.
Chair of the Management Committee:
Mrs Angela Ellis, 01638 751825
Village Hall Bookings: Mrs June Lewis, 01638 750062